Our Healthier South East London - Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP)
Developing better services in your community
Residents in Greenwich have told us that they want to be more involved in their health and that the health and care system needs to work better to support them. Some services are hard for people to access. Some people do not get the help they need to keep themselves and their families happy and healthy. We want to work better together to be able to give our residents the help they need close to home.
We are already making changes to improve care people receive locally. For instance, we are working to:
- Develop better systems for making appointments with GPs, nurses and others at local GP surgeries
- Have more appointments at different times
- Make sure people have different ways of getting in touch with a GP, including over the phone
- Develop better links to hospital, diagnostic tests and specialist care – so that people can get access to advice and treatment without having to go in to hospital
- Strengthen links to social care and support and voluntary and community groups so people who need it can access other services, support, groups and activities
Our Healthier South East London is a health and care strategy led by a partnership of NHS providers and Clinical Commissioning Groups serving the boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark, working with NHS England (London).
The strategy is being developed with local councils, primary and community care services, the six borough Healthwatch organisations and local people and patients.
The focus is on achieving improvements in physical and mental health in six key areas:
The strategy aims to improve health, reduce health inequalities and ensure the provision of services that meet safety and quality standards consistently and are sustainable in the longer term.
A key component of this is to develop a strong foundation of community based care to support people to live healthier lives, make services more joined up and make sure that everyone gets the care and outcomes they expect from their NHS. Read more about the strategy
View further information on the Primary Care Joint Committees of the six Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in south east London (NHS Bexley CCG, NHS Bromley CCG, NHS Greenwich CCG, NHS Lambeth CCG, NHS Lewisham CCG and NHS Southwark CCG) and NHS England will meet in public to undertake their responsibilities in respect of planning, commissioning and contracting general practice services.
Why change things?
In Greenwich and the rest of south east London we have some very good health services. People are living longer and many people are healthier.
But there are a number of issues that need to be addressed:
- Too many people live with preventable ill health or die too early
- The outcomes from care vary significantly and high quality care is not available all the time
- We don't always treat people early enough to have the best results
- People's experience of care is variable and can be much better
- Patients tell us that their care is not joined up between different services
- The money to pay for the NHS is limited and need is continually increasing
- Every one of us pays for the NHS and we have a responsibility to spend this money well
Read more about the case for change
Find out more
To find out more about Our Healthier South East London, to read the case for change, or to discover events to participate in, and other ways to contribute your views, visit the programme website, www.ourhealthiersel.nhs.uk
Read the Our Healthier South East London newsletter.
You can also follow @ourhealthiersel for the latest programme news.
Page updated 12.4.16